In August of 2018 we partnered with Olive Branch Christian Fellowship to put on a soccer camp for 50 kids, about half of whom had special needs. Highlights included:
- A volunteer buddy supporting each child with special needs
- A licensed therapist supporting each group of children
- A structured break area to support sensory emotional regulation with a sensory tent and calm area as well as visually supported sports themed activities
- Special needs campers participating alongside of their typical peers.
- Structured activities to teach skills such as dressing, writing, drawing, visual perception, motor planning.
- Visual supports, accommodations, and modifications provided to promote participation (i.e. quiet cheer instead of loud clapping, color coded goals, visual schedules, and first/then visuals)
- Structured opportunities to learn the skills related to the sport in a one-on-one setting guided by a licensed therapist.